As per the PSIRA website; “The Mandate of PSIRA derives from the Private Security Industry Regulation Act 56 of 2001. The primary objective of the Authority is to regulate the private security industry and to exercise effective control over the practice of the occupation of security service provider in the public and national interest and in the interest of the private security industry itself.
In terms of the Private Security Industry Regulation Act, 2001 the Authority must determine and enforce minimum standards of occupational conduct in respect of security service providers. In this regard, the Authority has a dual responsibility of determining minimum standards of occupational conduct in respect of security service providers as well as enforcing such standards.
The primary objective of law enforcement is to ensure that compliance with existing legislation by security service providers is being promoted and controlled through a process of active monitoring and investigation of the affairs security service providers.”
In other words, if you want to register a security company and want to apply for tenders/contracts, it is a requirement that your company is registered at PSIRA.
You can register your company and employees at PSIRA.
Requirements for Business Registration:
- The company’s registration documents, as received from the CIPC.
- Member’s (Director(s), Partner(s), Trustee(s) and Managers must be registered as a security service provider with Grade B
- Tax Clearance Certificate.
- VAT Registration Number
- PAYE Number
- UIF Number
- COIDA registration number
- Business Plan for 1 year
- Declaration of a business’s capability to operate for the next year
- Immovable office premises
Requirements for Individual Registration:
- At least 18 years of age
- You must be a South African citizen
- Not have committed any of the criminal offenses listed in the Private Security Industry Regulation Act,
- Proof of completed training at an accredited training centre,
- You may not be currently employed at the military,Security Police or intelligence force in South Africa or elsewhere
- Pay applicable fee for registration
You can arrange the registration by contacting PSIRA, all of their contact details are listed on their website.